Monday, October 24, 2011


I realize I haven't posted in a while....school's been busy this semester! Here's some stuff I've been working on...

For senior portfolio, my theme is "Slices of Life"; basically slice-of-life style narratives revolving around food. This is the first piece I've completed for it. Untitled for now, I haven't been able to think of a good title for it. Mostly just been referring to it as the 5 panel piece. Gouache on illustration board.

The full size piece is fairly big (full size of painted area, not including the border, is about 25 in x 8.5 in) makes it hard to get good pictures of it since there's so much small detail.


Detail shot of the middle panel.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm also taking book illustration this semester. Our first project was to create a few pages from an alphabet book. My theme was travel, so each page is designed like a travel poster. Gouache on bristol board, ink for the letters.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 Also taking a digital drawing from observation class, working entirely in Corel Painter. It's been a while since I've painted from observation, and even longer since I've painted still lifes, so it's been kind of relaxing in a way to spend a few hours just painting what I see. There's thought and analysis involved, but not as much as when I'm trying to make up stuff, so the painting seems to go faster. 

Also, I rarely get much opportunity to work in Painter, so getting the extra instruction and time to experiment has been nice. The "dessert snake" piece was done over the course of 2.5 class sessions. The skulls were done in about half a class session each.



No comments:

Post a Comment